Monday, July 9, 2012

What the film Snow White tells us about our own views on women



I've been really interested in the many different reviews of Snow White and the Huntsman. I saw it on opening night and I have to say, it's visually stunning. First time feature director Rupert Sands definitely knows his way around telling a story with all the visual tools cinema can provide. I also thought the acting was top notch, the best of which was Charlize Theron.

I also wish Sands and his crew had taken the revisionist approach just a step further. I could have used a little more character and story along with a new twist on some plot points. Just a little deeper into the mad queen or the young heroine. Because it stays just on the surface of the story it ultimately it comes up just a little short of a true classic for  me.

What's really fascinating for me how is how reviewers can take the same elements and interpret them in so many different ways.

Take Natalie Wilson's feminist view in Ms. Magazine:
"The film’s modus operandi is to vilify female aging. Of course, that’s the stuff of the original fairy tale, but this umpteenth iteration does nothing to complicate the material. It was a brilliant opportunity for a feminist critique of how we’re sold a bill of goods about beauty and immortality. Instead, Snow White and the Huntsman acts as though the desires for these things spring only from the brains of crazy women. Once again we get the same ole message that not only do women get ugly as they age, but they also get evil."

You know, I actually thought it was pretty easy to understand how the age old story of the Queen reflects the myth of youth and beauty that is still shoved down our throats as women. I felt that while the film doesn't go any deeper than the surface on these issues, I think the point was that the concept of holding on to youth and beauty at all costs is the villain itself, not the woman victimized by that notion.

I also feel like the movie made it clear that there was a vulnerable, damaged woman who has been used by the society she lives in. I feel like there is one very distinct moment where Snow White and the audience has to have empathy for her. True, she is a woman who has given in to her demons but does that ultimately make her a demon? If that's true, then why a moment of redemption?

Or does this show how my (or anyone's) criticism or reading of the film says more about me than the actual movie? Does this show my need to believe people can change and that they don't have to be victims of anything?

Check out this Natalie Wilson's blog and join in on the discussion: Ms. Blog. Because ultimately, I don't feel that one person or review has all the answers... but that engaging and discussing these issues concerning the representation of women is the most important thing we can do.


Duendefilmswest production of appleseeds: Did you miss out on being part of making this film and the benefit screenings happen? You can still be a part of the adventure: stay tuned for information regarding upcoming auction or contact us here for details on how to contribute directly!





No comments:

Post a Comment